The original and the best
HPI has been checking the histories of used cars since 1938. We were the first to introduce this invaluable service and our many years of experience in the industry means that our HPI Check service represents the very best in vehicle history checks.
HPI was formed in 1938. When the fraudulent re-financing of motorcars was becoming a real problem, the six main lenders gathered data on their hire purchase agreements, to ensure that people couldn't repeatedly use their cars as security for multiple loans.
Why HPI is important
HPI's role in the second-hand car market is crucial. It provides private car buyers, car dealers, finance houses, and the insurance industry with access to information on all UK registered vehicles.
Our products not only help in the fight against vehicle fraud, they can also protect our clients in many different ways.
The HPI Check allows users to check for outstanding finance, write off information and whether a vehicle has been registered as stolen. This protects dealers and the public from buying vehicles that are either unsafe or that they will never rightfully own. HPI Checks come with a consumer warranty and a variety of different levels of warranty cover for established motor dealers.
HPI is also able to provide registered dealer customers with an NMR Investigations service, where previous keepers are contacted to verify mileages on a vehicle, can demonstrate that a dealer has met their duty of care under the Consumer Protection Regulations and the Sale of Goods Act. This service is not available to the public.
Working with the Industry to drive policy
HPI takes its position as the oldest vehicle check provider very seriously. We aim to lead by example and to set the standards for best practice.
To do this we work with government agencies, including the Department for Business Innovation and Skills, (BIS formally the DTi), the Home Office and the Department for Transport as well as with agencies like the Office of Fair Trading, the ACPO Vehicle Crime Intelligence Service, the DVLA and the DVA in Northern Ireland, Trading Standards and trade associations including the SMMT, BVRLA, RMI and FLA, to name just four.
The way forward
HPI is continually looking for ways to support the Automotive Industry. We are continually identifying new ways to help our clients to carry out their businesses more accurately, more efficiently and more profitably.
This means embracing new technologies as they become available in ways that are relevant and work for our clients.
Important dates in HPI's history
- HPI founded
- Police provide HPI with stolen vehicle information
- Leading insurers provide car accident history data
- HPI is sold to two leading credit referencing organisations; first Infolink, then Equifax, further expanding our range of services
- HPI appointed to run CRiS on behalf of NCC
- HPI used car information becomes nationally available to the general UK public
- HPI electronically tag all new CRiS registered caravans
- HPI and IMVA (Independent Mileage Verification Association) jointly launch the National Mileage Register
- HPI launch a convenient online vehicle data check service
- HPI and IMVA merge to create a new independent information company dedicated solely to the needs of the motor industry and the motoring consumer
- HPI launch consumer check service online
- HPI launch Motorhome MINDER on behalf of SMMT
- HPI launch online service to motor trade customers, including HPI Exchange, the online vehicle stock publishing facility
- HPI acquired by Norwich Union Insurance, the UK's largest insurer
- HPI launches Driveaway Insurance, the free 7 day insurance cover
- HPI celebrates 70 years of providing services to the automotive industry
- Mobile check service launched for the Trade
- HPI is acquired by Solera Inc, a leading global provider of claims solutions
- HPI launches HPI CrushWatch so Police Forces and Enforcement Agencies can check vehicles prior to disposal
- HPI Finance Gateway launched, allowing dealers to provide forecourt finance to their customers
- HPI launches HPI Readycover the flexible short term insurance underwritten by Covea Insurance plc
- HPI CrushWatch is now the sole provider of pre-disposal checks to Enforcement Agencies and UK Police Forces
- HPI extends dealer warranty for up to 4 years cover providing protection for their customers for longer as well as helping dealers meet OFT guidelines
- HPI approved by the Department for Transport as an authorised distributor of environmental impact information for used car buyers
- HPI launches mobile enabled service for dealers delivering vehicle history and mileage checks and valuations to dealers on the move
- HPI's National Mileage Register hits 150 million readings offering dealers and their customers vital protection against clocking
- HPI partners with the UK's leading High Street insurance broker, Swinton, to launch the improved 7-day free insurance cover, HPI Driveaway
- HPI launches a unique service called HPI Spec Check. The only service in the UK which provides a detailed list of the specific optional extras fitted to an individual car
- HPI celebrates its 75 year anniversary. The company has continued to grow and develop its core provenance proposition and remains the respected market leader
- HPI in conjunction with Datatag and Construction & Agricultural Equipment Security and Registration Scheme (CESAR) launch an enhanced plant asset registration service